Saturday, August 1, 2009

Multicultural is blooming...

I'm sorry I've missed a few blogs. I've had a rather interesting and busy year. Hopefully I'll be on track going forward.

As far as the title of this blog goes....it's my observation that multicultural books are suddenly becoming mainstream. I say that in the most affectionate way. For the past six months I've been browsing plenty of bookstores and I'm very impressed with how they're being laid out. I've seen special tables dedicated to African American and Multicultural books, including end caps and more... It makes my heart go 'pitter-patter' because it seems like people are branching out. Readers are beginning to explore different stories and voices and allowing more of an open-mind when they choose their books. Seems like I worked a long time to see this explosion and just recently, I've become more hopeful.

For instance, a good friend of mine, Jeannie Lin recently won the Golden Heart and sold to Harlequin Mills & Boon for her historical set in China, all in the same week! It's amazing how Harlequin took a risk on a storyline like this and I'm ecstatic that this could mean the door has opened up for many multicultural writers like me.

So my advice is for all your multicultural writers to keep plugging away because once the floodgates open, we want to be the first one through the door.

For all you readers, please take a chance because you might discover something special in our stories!

No comments: